My research paper will explore the changing roles of women in Iranian politics.
This following piece of writing however, will explore the changing modes of procrastination employed by this half-Iranian woman in avoiding writing the proposal for the originally mentioned research paper.
I bought one of those "Bum Shirts" today at Garage clothing of all places- you know, one of those long t-shirts that covers the bum that's is meant to be layered with another shirt or a long tanktop. I've become one of "those" people, in those trendy tight shirts. haha! The printing on the inside, in gold lettering reads: "Totally Tunic!". So sexy....
Last Day of SACOMSS Training
It's not exactly procrastination, since it served a purpose on its own and was quite satisfying. G, Julia and bunch of other outreachers enjoyed the last gasps of this Indian summer afterwards, with cool drinks (pina coladas, smoothies and daiquiris) on the terasse at Coaster's afterwards. Also the last day of training involves the Superstar activity, which always is a big ego massager.
For the first time since first year, I gave Nora an impromptu trim, complete with wispy layers - to even out the back of her hair.
Dreams of being Carmen (Hey... at least Sarah Shahi is a descendant of the Shah- research I say, research!)
One reason I've taken so bloody long to write a lousy 4 page paper proposal (apart from the fact that my graduate seminar still intimidates me), is my new found desire to play DJ in my room with my Winamp playlist. Stuff you should listen to:
1. K'naan - I went to the show last week. I'm officially in love. And if you haven't heard him before, or you have and don't own "The Dusty Foot Philosopher" go out and by it. Everyone says it: but he takes it to the next level.
2. Feist - Another artist from the soundtrack of my summer and now, my life. I love her soothing voice and insightful lyrics.
3. Manu Chao
4. Cibo Matto - specifically the song "sugar water" - everything else is even more quirky, but "sugar water" is hypnotic and calming, as though you were drinking, uh, sugar water. also the video is beautiful.
5. M.I.A. - hello browness, pop political Tamil Tigress. She's hot, she's brown and she's soooo brown - not bollywood beautiful brown, but as someone commented to me she's beautiful in a "brown-brown" kind of way "not watered down or mixed race". and someone else said: "she's refugee brown". heh... big up to the brown.
6. Arcade Fire - anyone who knows me will laugh at this one, since I've been a cold-hearted pretentious bitch with regards to this band for the past 3 years, and now that I don't see their lead singer in the architecture cafe anymore, I've decided that I like them. Everyone else was right in the first place, what can I say?
7. Everything But the Girl - just cause.
I was gonna do 10, but now i'm tired.
Tomorrow I embark on a road trip with 4 fellow females from my hallowed post-secondary institution. We're going to Ontario for Thanksgiving. I'm going home, and I can't wait. Also, it will be cool to have folks from school visiting my hometown and to show them around.
Apparently we're not having the Turducken anymore and my aunt has opted for the traditional alternative, and as such mama has put her in charge of procuring the kind of bird that she (my mother)refuses to cook. I can't wait for stuffing. Steph, you have many photos of my multiracial family participating in this celebration of colonization in our most holy of religious months. Oh the postmodernity of it all (oh wait, I think we're just culturally confused) - don't get me started about how we celebrate christmas.
Alright, well, that was number V. Perhaps I will actually go to sleep now.